Wednesday 14 May 2014

Look whose talking!!

Rob has made some incredible progress over the last 2 days and the biggest thing was that he talked today!!!!!  I arrived this morning and Dr Nason had already put in a smaller trach.  This allows some air to move past the vocal chords.  As soon as I walked in Rob said something to me....I was so excited to hear him that I don't even know what he said.  He had a huge smile on his face too which made it all even better.  It is still a lot of work to talk and have a long conversation but he can communicate what he needs now.  It was so fun to go walking around today and being able to talk a little and hold hands because he does need his pole anymore. 




Since yesterday Rob has also gotten all the staples out of his neck, switched to Bolus feeds (meaning 3 meals a day and a snack as opposed to constant feeds through the NG tube.), and had his IV tubes taken out.  All of these are steps to getting to come home and getting back to normal. 




He also met with his Speech Language Pathologist who will help him learn to swallow and talk.  Today he was able to have some water and as long as it was on the left side on his mouth he could swallow it.  Swallowing is a very important part being able to move forward.  Once his trach is capped and he is no longer using it to breath they will reassess his swallowing to be sure he can do it right.  The goal is to have the tube feed removed and have him on a pureed diet before he goes home. 


Rob is not taking morphine anymore so he is much more alert and is up in his chair for most of the day.  This has allowed us to play some games, watch movies and have some nice visits with friends and family. 


My friend Sarah arrives tomorrow to help with Isaac and to give our family and friends here, who are looking after Isaac, a break.  It is also nice to have someone else in the house at night while Rob is missing.  And of course a visit from a friend is never a bad thing!


Each night for the past week Rob and I text to say good night just before we go to bed.  As I was sitting here writing this  tonight my cell phone rang and said it was Rob calling.  He had called to SAY goodnight!!!  It was so good to hear his voice and be able to say goodnight over the phone.  It made my night and has left a huge smile on my face.  God is good!!
Love Karen



2 comments:

  1. It is so great to hear of Rob's progress! We continue to pray for healing and strength. And so thankful that you have family and friends that are helping with Isaac. Thank you for your regular posts. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to read of all the progress in Rob's healing! He is talking! I think that I literally could have jumped for joy! Continuing to pray a few times a day.

    ReplyDelete